Channel

"A tornado flew around my room before you came"

It's late, I'm hopped up on cookies and I'm feeling like a sap.. So i guess I'll talk about probably my favorite album of all time and the one that gets me the most in my feels. Channel Orange is a masterpiece in my opinion, I don't care what you put it up against it's simply the best album ever! From the time the violins leading into "thinkin bout' you" begin to play, you get to ride along with Frank on a journey of deep and often somber emotions that are masked only by clever songwriting. I discovered this jewel of an album almost on accident, I was familiar with Frank Ocean and had heard a few songs that I liked but never had I actually checked for any of his albums. One day sitting around the house bored I needed something to do.. I needed anything to do. So I decided to go to my favorite blog (R.I.P. TSS) and there was a link to a (legal) stream of Frank Oceans new album so I decided to give it a listen. From first listen I was blown away, the music was so different, every song was different. Of course thinkin bout you is the standout track but this album is full of amazing deep cuts, songs like pilot jones with lyrics like "you're the dealer and the stoner" left so much open for interpretation but also made complete sense to me. In the black community, especially among some black men homophobia is a real thing that exists still and a few days before the release of the album Frank came out as bisexual and there was a bit of a backlash among some black men who felt uncomfortable listening to the same songs somehow now that there is a possibility that they could have been written about a man. All I ever saw was love, all I heard was feelings and emotions that I could relate to. I'm rambling now, so just ignore me. Pyramids! pyramids is my favorite song ever, a big reason why I love this album so much, that song is what made me really consider Frank to be one of the best songwriters I have heard. The historical context along with the storyline of the song and the fact that he was able to match that to the second part of the song is absolutely amazing to me and you are going to have to listen yourself because I could talk about this song and this album forever lol I'm going to bed.

Comments

Popular Posts