CTRL

"All I got is these broke clocks"

There are some people when you see them you just kind of know they have “it” whatever it may be. When it comes to music one of my favorite things to do was to kind of guess who was going to be next, the person who has “it” and I am able to see it from the beginning with that artist. Admittedly, I've been wrong about the “it” factor before (Murphy Lee still got some bangers lol) but when I hit it on the head I love it, I love getting in on the ground floor of an artists career and watching them grow and change until they become their superstar selves. I knew SZA had “it” her debut studio album “Z” showed so much promise and her voice and writing ability were so unique that I was immediately a fan and couldn't wait for her next project. and from there I waited…. And waited… And waited. For three years SZA didn't release any new albums, some spot features here and there but no collection from just here. And then came Ctrl. SZA’s Ctrl released just a few days after my birthday and I had been looking forward to the album since hearing rumors of it being nearly complete in the beginning of the year. Upon first listen I was blown away, the album was so honest, so vulnerable. It was a woman in her twenties being just that for the entire world to see. The album spoke on insecurities, the difficulties of navigating relationships in your twenties and more than anything else it was 100% honest. There are highlight songs on the album such as “The Weekend” where SZA admits to not making the best decisions when it comes to love and fidelity but if nothing else it was honest, it was her bringing all of her baggage and delivering it through her music and an artist letting the public into their lives that way is absolutely brave and I enjoyed every single moment of it. The album went on to have multiple platinum selling singles and the album itself has gone platinum since the release date. Now on what seems to be nearing the release of SZA's next album i take a moment and think back to when her music felt like my own little secret and smile. I got it right.

Comments

Popular Posts