Wake up, Mr. West

“Shorties at the door cause they need more, inspiration for they words, they life, and they songs..
They say sorry Mr. West is gone”. -Kanye West

Dear Mr. West,

Come back home, we miss you. People speculate what happened, if it was the death of your mom,
if it was your marriage, if the person that you have become is who you were all along. None of that
matters to me, I just want you to be ok. You've become something that you always seemed to be the
antithesis of, you've don't things they have pushed some of your longest standing fans to abandon ship.
I was angry for a long time, it's difficult to see one of your idols fall and admittedly I have become one of
those people who have lost faith but more importantly I want you to be ok. You've spoken of mental health
issues and that is the worrisome part, you've displayed symptoms in the past and even hinted at mental
health issues and now they seem more prevalent than ever. Come back home, come home to hip hop,
come home to where you started and seemed to be having the time of your life and never stopped
smiling and now your trademark smile is gone, replaced by this seemingly forced scowl.
I have wanted to write something to you, about you for so long. Of course I knew that you would never
read it and whatever I wrote would never see the light of day but I felt like I really needed to get out how
disappointed I am in you, so many people like myself looked up to you, found some sort of inspiration
within you and the words that you wrote and the actions that you took. Now for you to turn around and
make a complete 180 it is honestly shocking and absolutely infuriating. The man who once stood and
proclaimed "George Bush doesn't like black people" because he felt so strongly about the way that
people of color were being treated during hurricane Katrina now stands next to a man who has exhibited
far more prejudice than George Bush ever had and calls that person his friend and campaigns for that
person... It's a tough pill to swallow for a kid who fell asleep listening to your songs every night in
high school. But every time I sat down to do so the only thing that I could think is
“man I really hope Kanye gets better and comes back home.” So I hope you get better Kanye.
And come back home.

Wake up, Mr. West

Comments

Popular Posts